From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Empty project: LXDE
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:58:41
1 On 08/10/2016 01:46 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > El mié, 10-08-2016 a las 07:12 -0500, james escribió:
3 >> On 08/10/2016 12:46 AM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Hey, just a heads up as a user. I'm currently using LXDE.
6
7 +_1
8 (correctly located).
9
10 >>>
11 >>> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o
12 >>> <mailto:pacho@g.o>> wrote:
13 >>>
14 >>> Now https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:LXDE
15 >>> <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:LXDE> is empty
16 >>>
17 >>> Feel free to join, anyway, if I don't misremember, LXDE is dead
18 >>> for a
19 >>> long time in favor of LXQT... in that case treecleaning the
20 >>> packages
21 >>> would also be an option
22 >>>
23 >>> Thanks
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>
27 >> me too. I have it
28
29 LXDE, that is, and I like it very much.
30
31 >> on several (older) systems. Hopefully there will be a
32 >> news item, when the time comes, with instructions on migration to
33 >> lxqt or a listing of other light weight replacement options, with a
34 >> wee bit of migration detail....
37 >> hth,
38 >> James
41 > What is needed apart of emerging the new desktop and starting to use
42 > it?
43
44 Changes in config files? Has this been tested? Surely folks have a
45 myriad of setups with lxde and those do not automagically migrate to
46 lxqt, or do they? If/when lxde goes away are there other similar
47 choices in lieu of lxqt ? The reason I say this, is the lxde installs I
48 have done (all 3) have had extensive hacking to get things to work. But
49 once that was done, they (lxde setups) require little to nothing, which
50 strongly appeals to me. Hack it once and done.
51
52 For example on usb, I gave up and just installed udevil. Most DE users
53 expect usb usage to be ubiquitous. I know I did before I ever installed
54 lxde. likewise dvd burning, particularly double sided medias. Others
55 have different solutions. Terminal windows. I spent days reading and
56 hacking to get a Kludge I like. I have not had the time to migrate
57 things to lxqt, despite tinkering around with it. The next system I
58 install, will go direct to lxqt. I left KDE for many bloated reasons. I
59 sure hope lxqt is light weight, easy to setup and config and stable.
60 I have a deep disdain for DEs that require adming work. I want to do my
61 admin and dev work on clusters, not the rendering/command/control system
62 know as a workstation.
63
64 To me, the entirety of KDE should be replaced with aggressive and
65 ubiquitious clusters, where any mixture of codes, kde included can be
66 run. KDE is an OS, and a bloated one at that, that imposes itself on my
67 DE. I want no part of the KDE vision, nor any other DE that does more
68 than provide a fast environment to display apps. There is a growing
69 crowd of folks that like minimal DE environments, imho. Advances should
70 be in the cluster or a single local server, imho. So, actually, I'd like
71 to keep lxde into perpetuity and it'd be perfect to train folks for
72 proxy-maint, imho. Safe, stable, extraordinarily useful and not critical
73 to anything in the core system. Folks do not have use it.
74 Old, stable codes are worth their weight in gold, but we must be trendy,
75 right? So we need to removed lxde, right?
78 I mean thing about it from a different prospective. I have a vintage
79 car, not being maintained any more by the manufacturer. It's worthless
80 now, right? Let's just toss it away so nobody can use it or maintain it
81 right. Turns out old vintige cars are worth a bloody fortune now days.
82 Who is to say in 20 or 30 years, these old code will not be worth
83 extreme value to folks? It costs nothing to just park the codes and
84 ignore them. Mark lxde as you like and move it to an overlay and let it
85 sit idle, if you have to clean the tree, that's my wisdom on the matter.
86
87 My (college aged kids) get down boxes of old electronic toys to play
88 with every christmas. It's a blast and friend of all ages enjoy this one
89 a year treat too. Whos to say and old DE might not be the same
90 experience one day?
93 But, I suspect you are implying the correct answer is "Nothing". I'm
94 just saying if/when lxde goes away or a news item first comes out and
95 encourages lxde folks to migrate to lxqt, then some detail as to the
96 situation and easy migration steps, shows a kinder and gentler Gentoo.
97 I think that's this is one of the proxy-maint exit test questions; when
98 is a News item is warranted. So this is my opinion, particular if an
99 update removes lxde and installs lxqt; a news item is then definitely
100 warranted.
101
102 I'm not against keeping lxde around, at all. But from the last year of
103 experiences with tree cleaning it is more of a religious agenda than
104 removing what has to be removed. I know, I have dozens of old codes
105 sitting quite peacefully in /usr/local.... and working just fine.
106
107 But I do not enjoy the pressures of being a gentoo dev, so do what you
108 have to do; news items are great. ymmv. I recommend that you convert
109 your (gentoo dev) burdens into a peaceful pleasure as you see fit.
110
111 Now if you are asking what's broken with news items, then I have an
112 idea, so they do not have to be avoided. Require all news items to be
113 very short. A sentence or 2 and more than 50 words. Also they should
114 have a link to the longer answers and details. That would make 2/3 news
115 items per day, pretty cool, ymmv. An additional benefit, is that those
116 linked documents can be annotated more than once and edited until near
117 perfection (think back to the ncurses debacle.... thank goodness for
118 vapier. I spent a week stabalizing almost a dozen (gentoo) systems on
119 that ncurses nightmare and there should have been one place to read
120 (concurrently) what went wrong and what to do. On gentoo-user, there was
121 much more zagging than zigging...... (granted to others it was no big deal).
124 OK? I'm happy with whatever you decide to do.
125
126 TIA,
127 James