From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI Changes
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 20:50:13
1 On Sun, 17 May 2009 21:03:46 +0200
2 Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Am Sonntag, den 17.05.2009, 11:11 -0600 schrieb Ryan Hill:
5 > > On Fri, 15 May 2009 23:31:25 +0200
6 > > Tiziano Müller <dev-zero@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Wrong. For example:
9 > > > - stuff like docompress may change the content being installed depending
10 > > > on the package manager
11 > > > - --disable-static (maybe in a later EAPI) changes content
12 > > > - slot-dep-operators change the rdepend of installed packages, so it
13 > > > changes how the package manager has to handle reverse packages on
14 > > > uninstall (in EAPI 3)
15 > >
16 > > None of which are a problem when changing the EAPI from 0 to 1, which is the
17 > > situation here. The first two examples fall under the currently established
18 > > guideline of revbumping when content changes (and I emphasize guideline). I
19 > > don't see how the third example is any different than adding or removing
20 > > dependencies, which also does not require a revbump.
21 >
22 > Which is mostly wrong as well since a change in dependency means that
23 > the currently installed stuff may break if a package (the new dependency
24 > for example) gets removed and since the package you changed does not
25 > reference it, it gets broken (for example if you had a magic dep before
26 > and add it now as an explicit dep).
27
28 I don't understand. Removing a runtime dependency of a package will break it
29 regardless of whether or not it's referenced in the package's VDB. We don't
30 prevent uninstalling dependencies, so how does having it referenced prevent
31 breakage? The only case I can think of is depclean, but it already checks to
32 see if removing a package will break the linkage map of another installed
33 package.
34
35 > So, unless you're doing a pkgmove
36 > it's a dangerous thing since the PM can't reliably track reverse deps
37 > when doing uninstalls since it has to use the vdb entry for that,
38 > doesn't it?
39
40 Since when do we track reverse deps for uninstalls?
41
42 > > So I'd argue that an
43 > > EAPI change does not require a revision bump in and of itself.
44 >
45 > EAPI may imply a decent implicit change to the ebuild and therefore
46 > needs a rev-bump as per the manual.
47
48 Exactly. :)
49
50 It's not the EAPI itself that requires the revbump, it's the changes the EAPI
51 makes. That's all I'm saying. And in the case of going from EAPI 0 to EAPI
52 1, the changes are not those that require a revbump. If I were going from
53 EAPI 1 to 2, and I'm using the default src_compile, then yes, a revbump is in
54 order.
55
56 > > We may want to document a suggested waiting time before removing ebuilds
57 > > using older EAPI's. For example, should we always keep an EAPI 0 ebuild in
58 > > stable as a fallback? Or if the user tries to install or update a package
59 > > where all versions are masked by EAPI, should (does?) portage suggest updating
60 > > itself?
61 > It would maybe suggest to update to an unstable version of portage, not
62 > so good then?
63
64 If the user is installing a package that doesn't have a stable version with
65 an EAPI that their package manager supports, then it's no different than if
66 they are installing a package that doesn't have a stable version with their
67 KEYWORDS. And when unmasking ~arch packages, you often have to unmask ~arch
68 dependencies. Portage is just another of these dependencies.
72 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
73 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
74 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662