From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: How a proper server profile should look like (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] removing the server profiles...)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 02:23:37
1 On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 12:59:11AM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote
2
3 > Sure a server is something generic, too. However, since you mentioned
4 > mysql above, how about a postgres server? Or a web server using a
5 > daemon different from apache? :)
6 >
7 > This is why I think (as others) a server profile should basically be
8 > the same as a minimal profile. And then, defining a minimal profile
9 > separate from the base profile does not make too much sense. Rather,
10 > carefully try to move all specific stuff out of the base profile.
11
12 If someone wants a *REALLY* basic system, they can start off with
13 USE="-*" and add on stuff as necessary when portage complains and/or
14 ebuilds break. That's what I'd recommend to someone wanting to set up a
15 "basic server" machine.
18 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
19 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications