From: Robert Coie <rac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 22: New "keyword" system to incorporate various userlands/kernels/archs
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 23:27:01
1 I think that one of the crucial strengths of Gentoo is its ability to
2 quickly incorporate and disseminate information, both new software and
3 information about how well things work in a particular environment.
4
5 If the notions of ARCH, OS, LIBC, KERNEL were truly orthogonal, this
6 GLEP would make sense to me. In other words, if one could say with
7 certainty that "ppc is ok", or "won't work with glibc", without
8 needing to look at the other variables at all, then this would be
9 fine, but I don't think that accurately represents reality.
10
11 Leaving aside for the moment the question of who does QA and when and
12 in what capacity, I think that the main purpose of KEYWORDS is to
13 convey QA information. I will oversimplify at this point and roughly
14 map arch to green, ~arch to yellow and -arch to red. This is the
15 information users want and we want to convey: here's the tinderbox
16 color of the package you're interested in as it applies to your
17 machine.
18
19 I think it would give much more flexibility and power to the QA
20 process if this information was maintained completely separately from
21 within ebuilds themselves. It would be a big matrix, currently
22 5-dimensional: arch/os/libc/kernel/ebuild-version = color.
23
24 This way, QA testers can convey the information about how the software
25 behaves on exactly the systems they have, without necessarily having
26 to meet the burden of collecting enough data about how it behaves on
27 platforms they may have no access to. Others can do that at a later
28 time, and we do not waste the timely information that we *do* have.
29
30 I suggest that it would be neither practical nor particularly useful
31 to have users directly accessing the master matrix, which would
32 probably reside in a relational database. Instead, there would be
33 some process that could be adjusted based on demand for various slices
34 of the matrix that rips static dictionaries of it, perhaps in dbm
35 format. ebuild-version => color. Portage should have no greater
36 burden at emerge time than it does now, and it may in fact be somewhat
37 less, I'm not sure.
38
39 The matrix slice could be retrieved at emerge sync time, either as
40 part of the normal rsync process or via a separate http fetch.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list