From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: John Davis <zhen@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo part II.
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:51:21
1 begin quote
2 On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:46:21 -0400
3 John Davis <zhen@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > Good evening all:
6
7 Not as good as it could have been. You dropped a bomb here in the idle
8 summer idyll of our list. And there's a lot of people who reacted to it.
9 As expected I think.
10
11 I won't go through doing point-to-point rebuttals to your suggestions
12 here, frankly because I don't have the clarity of mind to do so in a
13 well thought out way.
14
15 Constitution.. We should protect our users, for what? erm?
16
17 perhaps some limits on the management team, that they should not use
18 their management position or be in a management position if they have an
19 ulterior goal other than Gentoo?
20
21 (We need to port this to f00-arch now! since I'll earn money off it in
22 private... *Evil glimmer of eyes and small portrouding horns out of
23 $NEW_MANAGERS head.)
26 Voting, Just who'm would be voting? So far all I've see as proposals
27 about voiting have been a developer (or a few) with an idea, and along
28 with the vote goes a technical debate, so iun turn itslike the
29 discussion of a RFC where you either agree or disagree, but also
30 -comment- in a useful way.
31 To take this and separate it further into blown-out global-dev votes
32 would remove a lot of that good discussion, frankly I -want- the
33 opinions of other developers (hey, they are technically inclined, and I
34 trust them to to either shut up or find out more if they think they
35 aren't.). Instead it would risk falling down to the lovely anonymous
36 feeling of foo voted Bar, at which turn we'd loose another asset.
37 Discussion.
40 Wether the momentum that is needed to make it happen exists or not, is
41 another thing. Some such ideas might be hard to do but necessary, and in
42 that case I trust the -management- to bring it up and space it out to
43 developers tehy think are capable of doing it. And if failing to do so,
44 do it t hemselves. :-)
45
46 Terms for managers? Well, there are terms. until they grow tired, until
47 the people they manage go tired (I expect it to happen sometime. There
48 will be a small set of rumblings on irc about a manager thats hard to
49 get hold of, then a note will be sent to the list. "Could you managers
50 kick $MANAGER in the ass and make him around more?" . At this point I'd
51 expect management to be self-managing enough to either kick (and perhaps
52 kick hard) or replace said $MANAGER.
53
54 Structuring it further and implying more limits will force even more of
55 the bothers of politics around, and frankly. Can you people show me a
56 democracy that works? No, not in theory, in practice...
57 (don't reply to this last statement, if you do you fall into the
58 flame-trap)
61 Meeting procedure. Ergh. Frankly, as I've seen it they have managed
62 surprisingly well. Not all meetings -need- to be strict and formal after
63 the rule-set dictated by your local church. (point one, apply meeting
64 leader. point two assign secretary. point three, assign.... Whereby
65 the meeting starts after 20-30 minutes with the 9th post on the list
66 which is to read through last weeks protocol and jury it as valid or
67 not. SHeeesh.)
68
69 Frankly, I think they do it well. Let them keep doing it in a way they
70 are comfortable with. its more important (for me) that developers are
71 comfortable than that they follow procedure. (remember, managers are
72 also developers. perhaps not in life, but this is better. ;-)
75 Regards,
76 Spider
79 begin .signature
80 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
82 end