From: Mike <kyphros@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use of "nomirror" flag
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:32:04
1 On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 14:25:33 -0700, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 09:13:37PM +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
5 > > On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:37:27PM -0700 or thereabouts, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
6 > > > On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 11:21:18AM -0500, Corey Shields wrote:
7 > > > > Keep in mind that anytime you set this flag on a package, people who
8 > > > > rely on a distfile mirror as their only source of Gentoo packages will
9 > > > > not get the package. This is common in many cases where Gentoo is being
10 > > > > used inside a private network that utilizes a local distfile mirror on
11 > > > > the inside of that network.
12 > > > This is incorrect. They should be using a 'local' entry in
13 > > > /etc/portage/mirrors in such a configuration, as it does get checked
14 > > > even when RESTRICT="nomirror" is in place.
15 > > Are you saying that putting "local" in /etc/portage/mirrors overrides the
16 > > 'nomirror' flag? If so, great (though that opens up some other
17 > > concerns...). If not, then Corey's original point still stands. Use of
18 > > nomirror prevents people from establishing their own local mirrors of
19 > > files.
20 > Yes, it does override the nomirror flag [see portage(5)].
21 >
22 > I use it to great effect to administer a large number of Gentoo servers
23 > at work. Not having to download the Sun JDK multiple times is a great
24 > boon - just download once, and place it on my private mirror.
27 I prefer using an NFS mounted /usr/portage myself. Everything shares
28 /usr/portage/distfiles, so packages are only downloaded once. Plus,
29 this lets me only need to update the portage tree on a single machine,
30 which when you're forced by firewall rules to use emerge-webrsync,
31 saves quite a bit of bandwidth.
32
33 Mike
36 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list