From: Robert Buchholz <rbu@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [v4] Planning for automatic assignment computation of bugs
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:30:23
1 On Sunday 19 October 2008, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Now into it's Nth great year, I bring you the fourth edition of the
3 > automatic assignment proposal. </truman-show>
4
5 Yay!
6
7 > 5. Javascript then appends the server results into the "Additional
8 > Comments" box: a suggested assignee and suggested CC values, with
9 > logic as to why.
10 > 6. The wrangler can copy and paste the data into the fields, editing
11 > further as desired.
12
13 It would be nice if we had a checkbox "Accept Changes" or of
14 that "Suggest" button would fill in the fields itself. Two more copy
15 and paste actions less.
18 > 2. If the summary line contains a package atom for a package that
19 > does not exist, but a category that does exist, use the metadata.xml
20 > for that category.
21
22 We have three alternatives here:
23 If at least one valid atom is found, but other atoms are present that
24 only have an existing category...
25
26 (1) ignore metadata for that category
27 (2) treat category as regular metadata
28 (3) append categtory metadata to the end of maintainer list
29
30 For example, "dev-java/ibm-jkd-bin breaks with
31 x11-base/xorg-server-1.3.0.0"
32
33 With the typo in ibm-jdk-bin, the ordered list of maintainers to
34 assign/cc would* be
35 (1) x11@g.o
36 (2) java@g.o,x11@g.o
37 (3) x11@g.o,java@g.o
38
39 * if java herd maintained dev-java category
42 > 3. If a maintainer element contains the non-default 'ignoreauto=1'
43 > attribute AND a non-empty role element (describing why this
44 > maintainer should not be contacted), delete it from the list.
45
46 The role element is not present for maintainers in metadata.xml, only in
47 herds.xml. Should we leave this out, or do you mean the description
48 element?
49
50 > 1. For handling <herd>no-herd</herd>, we should add an entry into
51 > herds.xml to catch it (maintainer-needed <at> g.o). Every herd listed
52 > in an ebuild MUST be in herds.xml.
53
54 I agree for consistency reasons, the "no-herd" should be listed on
55 herds.xml. However, it should not implicate maintainer-needed, as a lot
56 of maintained ebuilds carry no-herd and all maintainer-needed ebuilds
57 carry a "maintainer-needed@g.o" maintainer in their own
58 metadata.xml
59
60 > Effects on metadata.xml syntax
62 > - Category metadata is now permitted to have herd and maintainer
63 > elements. - New attribute under maintainer, 'ignoreauto'.
64
65 Just to add a rationale here: This entry is used to assign / cc to
66 ebuild submissions, i.e. "Add dev-perl/Some-CPAN-Module to the tree"
67 could figure out perl@g.o automatically.
71 Robert