From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Idea for change of emerge -up output
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 12:28:02
1 On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 02:01:38PM +0200 or thereabouts, Thierry Carrez wrote:
2 > > Does anyone have any (reasonable) objections to this?
3
4 Nope -- I think it's a great idea.
7 > I think
8 >
9 > [ebuild U ] app-text/ghostscript 7.07.1-r3 -> 7.07.1-r5
10 >
11 > would be easier to understand by a human and still machine-parseable.
12
13 I like this modification a bit better. I'd also suggest that colors be used
14 to further distinguish the two.
15
16 Also, regarding breaking existing scripts vs. using a command flag, break
17 the damn scripts. It's unreasonable to expect that scripts will *never*
18 need updating and this change is being made specifically to make it easier
19 for scripts in the future. Backwards compatibility is nice and all, but
20 there's a reasonable limit.
21
22 --kurt