From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:58:12
1 On 01/28/2010 09:24 PM, Max Arnold wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:17:41PM +0100, Beber wrote:
3 >> So, do you guys plan to implement a such thing ? That's one of the
4 >> features that is mostly missing imho. The principal miss in on client
5 >> side as I have tools to manage packages but would like to not have too
6 >> much specific scripts on client side.
7 >
8 > I like the way it done in OpenEmbedded. You have the tree of recipes (think of portage tree)
9 > and bunch of targets. For each target BitBake can generate binary release and package feed.
10 > Client package management is lightweight and does not require BitBake, recipes tree and even
11 > python. At least this is my lame interpretation of how it works :)
12
13 You can do something similar using the emerge --config-root option.
14 You'd just use a different --config-root for each target, and each
15 of those would have a separate $PKGDIR.
16
17 > Maybe this "metadistribution" approach is cleaner than binary package support in emerge. If
18 > user wants to compile packages on the client, he uses portage. If not - he can setup build
19 > server for multiple targets and completely drop portage from client machines. The only thing
20 > client should know is feed url with full list of binary packages. And I do not think client
21 > should deal with USE flags - for large installations unification is the only sane way to scale.
22
23 The clients need sys-apps/portage installed, but not the whole
24 portage tree (although the profiles directory can be useful for
25 the profile and package moves). The clients should set
26 PORTAGE_BINHOST in make.conf, so that binary packages are
27 automatically downloaded with the emerge -g option.
28 --
29 Thanks,
30 Zac