From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 11:58:12
On 01/28/2010 09:24 PM, Max Arnold wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 04:17:41PM +0100, Beber wrote: >> So, do you guys plan to implement a such thing ? That's one of the >> features that is mostly missing imho. The principal miss in on client >> side as I have tools to manage packages but would like to not have too >> much specific scripts on client side. > > I like the way it done in OpenEmbedded. You have the tree of recipes (think of portage tree) > and bunch of targets. For each target BitBake can generate binary release and package feed. > Client package management is lightweight and does not require BitBake, recipes tree and even > python. At least this is my lame interpretation of how it works :)
You can do something similar using the emerge --config-root option. You'd just use a different --config-root for each target, and each of those would have a separate $PKGDIR.
> Maybe this "metadistribution" approach is cleaner than binary package support in emerge. If > user wants to compile packages on the client, he uses portage. If not - he can setup build > server for multiple targets and completely drop portage from client machines. The only thing > client should know is feed url with full list of binary packages. And I do not think client > should deal with USE flags - for large installations unification is the only sane way to scale.
The clients need sys-apps/portage installed, but not the whole portage tree (although the profiles directory can be useful for the profile and package moves). The clients should set PORTAGE_BINHOST in make.conf, so that binary packages are automatically downloaded with the emerge -g option. -- Thanks, Zac

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: Building custom package for multi-arch/system Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Building custom package for multi-arch/system Max Arnold <lwarxx@×××××.com>