From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 22:38:19
1 Michał Górny posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 10:05:06 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > ==Specification==
4 > ===Branching model===
5 > The main branch of the Gentoo repository is the <kbd>master</kbd>
6 > branch. All Gentoo developers push their work straight to the master
7 > branch, provided that the commits meet the minimal quality standards.
8 > The master branch is also used straight for continous user repository
9 > deployment.
10
11 s/continous/continuous/
12
13 > Since multiple developers work on master concurrently, they may be
14 > required to rebase multiple times before being able to push. Developers
15 > are requested not to use workflows that could prevent others from
16 > pushing, e.g. pushing single commits frequently instead of staging them
17 > and using a single push.
18
19 This is unclear as to which of the two behaviors is encouraged
20 vs. discouraged. Maybe just add an an explicit "(encouraged)" and
21 "(discouraged)" by each as appropriate?
22
23 > Developers can use additional branches to facilitate review and testing
24 > of long-term projects of larger scale. However, since git fetches all
25 > branches by default, they should be used scarcely. For smaller projects,
26 > local branches or repository forks are preferred.
27
28 Nit-picking/quibble:
29
30 "Can" vs. "may": While "can" is perfectly appropriate as used here in
31 informal settings, "may" is more formal (with "can" reserved for whether
32 it's technically possible, not at issue here or it wouldn't need mentioned,
33 while "may" indicates it's approved/recommended, there's a child's game,
34 "Mother may I", that I recall reinforcing this when I was young).
35
36 Since this is intended as a GLEP it's arguably quite formal and "may"
37 /may/ be more appropriate, thus my mention of the issue altho either
38 should be well understood and "can" would be entirely appropriate if the
39 context isn't considered quite that formal.
40
41 Entirely a judgment call.
42
43 > Unless stated otherwise, the rules set by this specification apply to
44 > the master branch only. The development branches can use relaxed rules.
45
46 Can/may... There may be other uses I won't mention but if you decide
47 it's worth changing at all, a search and evaluate usage may be worth it.
48
49 > Rewriting history (i.e. force pushes) of the master branch is forbidden.
54 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman