From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Happy 10th birthday (in advance)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:01:22
1 On 03/31/12 17:52, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:44:03 +0300
3 > Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> @preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it
5 >> should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production
6 >> boxes for years without any issues :)
7 >
8 > ...and here we see the problem. You think that "I haven't noticed it
9 > break" means "it works".
10 >
11 > The problem with preserved-libs (and emerge --jobs, for that matter) is
12 > that the design is "I can think of a few ways where it might break, so
13 > I'll hard-code in special cases to handle those, but in general I
14 > can't think of what other problems there are so it's fine". That's a
15 > bad way of doing things.
16 >
17 Good enough is the worst enemy of perfect.
18
19 While we have s 98% solution that doesn't handle all corner cases you
20 have a theoretical construct in your brain that might in theory cover
21 100% of all cases, but it's in your brain where I can't use it, so ...
22 I'll take the pragmatic approach and use what works.