From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New distfile mirror layout
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 09:44:45
1 On Sun, 2019-10-20 at 05:21 -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
2 > On 10/20/2019 04:32, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2019-10-20 at 04:25 -0400, Joshua Kinard wrote:
4 > > > Why is having a max ~24k files in a directory a bad idea? Modern
5 > > > filesystems are more than capable of handling that.
6 > > >
7 > > > - ext4: unlimited files in a directory
8 > > > - xfs: virtually unlimited (hard limit of 2^64-1 total files per volume)
9 > > > - ntfs: 4,294,967,295
10 > > >
11 > > > And 24k is a bit more than 1/3rd of all distfiles that we currently have.
12 > >
13 > > For the same reason having ~60k files in a directory was a problem.
14 > > There is really no point in changing anything if you change BIG_NUMBER
15 > > to SMALLER_BIG_NUMBER.
16 >
17 > That doesn't answer my question. Why is it a problem? What criteria are
18 > you using to decide that 24k is a "smaller big number"? Is there some issue
19 > highlighted by the mirror admins where having 24k files in a single
20 > directory offers no significant relief versus the current 60k files?
21
22 IIRC Robin set the goal as:
23
24 | the number of files in a single directory should not exceed 1000, [1]
25
26 I don't recall how that number was chosen but it's probably pretty
27 arbitrary. In any case, I can notice the difference between working
28 with a listing of 1k files and 24k files, on the hardware running
29 masterdist.
30
31 > > > Under which scenario do you wind up with 24k files in a single directory? I
32 > > > consider the tex package an outlier in this case (one package should not be
33 > > > the sole dictator of policy).
34 > >
35 > > Three versions of TeXLive living simultaneously. If one package falls
36 > > completely out of bounds, no problem is solved by the change, so what's
37 > > the point of making it?
38 >
39 > The problem in this case is with texlive, not our current, or future,
40 > distfiles methodology.
41
42 Is it? Are you suggesting we should ban upstream from using multiple
43 distfiles with similar prefix? What about other potential packages that
44 may suffer from the same problem in the future? Go packages have a good
45 potential, given that majority of them starts with 'github.com'.
46
47 > Has anyone looked at how other distros deal with texlive?
48
49 Other distros don't mirror original distfiles.
50
51 > Has anyone complained or filed a bug to texlive developers
52 > upstream about their excessive amount of distfiles and the burden it places
53 > on distro maintainers?
54
55 You believe it to be a problem. Don't expect others to bother upstream
56 with your preferences.
59 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0075.html#algorithm-for-splitting-distfiles
63 Best regards,
64 Michał Górny