From: Sven Blumenstein <me@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unified tool for Gentoo specific tasks?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:42:20
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 16:45:19 +0800
2 Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Hi!
5
6 Hello!
9 > One of the things which disturbs me about Gentoo Linux (admittedly
10 > only slightly, but still) is the "clutter" of seperate tools I have
11 > installed which are Gentoo specific: mirrorselect, ufed, gentoolkit
12 > (although I only have it because of etcat), some things from the
13 > forums like (ebb -
14 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=275364#275364
15 > and femerge - http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=45827), epm
16 > (which I haven't installed, but still). Sure this is notss really a
17 > big problem, but various posts in forums and mailing lists lead me to
18 > the conclusion that quite a few users are not aware of one or the
19 > other of this useful little helpers.
20
21 I agree with that. I did read about ufed and mirrorselect here on the
22 mailing list first. It should at least get mentioned in the install docs
23 and maybe also included on the LiveCD as it would have much use on
24 installation.
27 > What I was thinking about is a unified, curses-based frontend for the
28 > various aforementioned tools. And creative like I feel today I already
29 > came up with a code name for this proposal, "Emergency". ;-)
32 Heh, I like that name ;)
33
34 And the idea behind it sounds good aswell. But instead of adding another
35 new package, I would add the above mentioned tools to
36 app-admin/gentoolkit together with the frontend. That way you could use
37 every programm standalone or use it from the "Emergency" menu.
38
39 As for the programming part, in my opinion shell scripts with use of
40 "dialog" for the GUI are a good option.
41
42 regards,
43 Sven
46 .".