From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Distro Day (Measuring the benefits of the Gentoo approach)"
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:03:35
1 On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:07:54AM -0400, brett holcomb wrote:
2 > Well, if speed is all they want to worry about <G>.
3 > However, I find that one of the biggest advantages of
4 > Gentoo is no more RPMs!!!! Come to think of it - if I
5 > factor in all the time it takes to get all the
6 > dependencies and files to satisfy them on an RPM based
7 > system then Gentoo is way faster - by days <G>.
8
9 RPMs are no bad invention. The only problem is that the RPM-based
10 distributions lacked a decent frontend for a long time. Most users where also
11 informed that "rpm -i" was the preferred method to install software.
12
13 Think of RPM vs Ebuild. How many times do you install an ebuild using "ebuild
14 <ebuildfile> merge"?
15
16 Wkr,
17 Sven Vermeulen