From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Canonical order to profile stacking.
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 17:28:04
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I'd like to bounce a question of the community regarding the order of
4 profile stackings. We have a suggestion in hardened to re-introduce the
5 hardened desktop profile. This was deprecated because controlling the
6 profile stacking order is very difficult. Specifically, if we set
7
8 ..
9 ../../../../targets/desktop
10
11 in $PORTDIR/hardened/linux/amd64/desktop/parent (taking amd64 as an example), then we get a stacking order where targets/desktop overrides hardened/linux/amd64. This causes problems because of flags we need to mask in hardened.
12
13 A suggestion was forwarded to switch $PORTDIR/hardened/linux/amd64/desktop/parent to the following
14
15 ../../../../targets/desktop
16 ..
17
18 This, however, puts targets/desktop before even base which is problematic. In fact, the resulting stacking order is:
19
20 /usr/portage/profiles/targets/desktop
21 /usr/portage/profiles/base
22 /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux
23 /usr/portage/profiles/arch/base
24 /usr/portage/profiles/features/multilib
25 /usr/portage/profiles/features/multilib/lib32
26 /usr/portage/profiles/arch/amd64
27 /usr/portage/profiles/releases
28 /usr/portage/profiles/eapi-5-files
29 /usr/portage/profiles/releases/13.0
30 /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux
31 /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/amd64
32 /usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/amd64/desktop
33
34 The concern with this stacking order is that, with all the later subprofiles overriding targets/desktop, we have breakage waiting to happen when changes are made in arch/amd64 or default/linux. Since the whole community takes care of those profiles, this seems like a question for everyone. Do people assume a particular order to stacking when they commit to arch/ or default/linux?
35
36 The issue is being tracked in bug #492312. I give an example of my concern there.
39 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
40 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
41 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
42 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
43 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA