From: Andy Arbon <gentoo@××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ntpd and ntpdate
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:15:01
Paul de Vrieze wrote:
>>Is there a neat way to just run ntpdate at system initialisation? I
> This is allready included in the ntp scripts. Just edit the configuration > file. Btw. ntpd is not a necesarilly server. It takes care that the time > stays correct. Check the ntpd.conf file for restricting the server > capabilities. >
Thanks for the advice. This still isn't really what I was after. I want a really lightweight way of making sure that my machines are in reasonable sync, but I'm not really worried about it enough to want to have another daemon process hanging around looking after the time. What I've done is write a 2 line bash script for /etc/init.d/ which just runs ntpdate once using the ntpdate configurations in /etc/conf.d/ntpd, which should be sufficient (Copied below for the terminally lazy ;) ) As an aside: Does anyone know what will happen the next time the package containing /etc/init.d/* is updated? Will it remove my script or is that protected? Cheers, Andy #!/bin/bash # A script to one off launch ntpdate if [ $1 == 'start' ]; then source /etc/conf.d/ntpd; $NTPDATE_CMD $NTPDATE_OPTS; fi -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] ntpd and ntpdate Markus Krainer <markus-krainer@××××××.at>
Re: [gentoo-dev] ntpd and ntpdate Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>