From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] category sci-geosciences redundant ?
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 04:29:26
1 maillog: 16/03/2005-22:10:21(-0500): Mike Frysinger types
2 > On Wednesday 16 March 2005 09:53 pm, Andrew D. Fant wrote:
3 > > Why do we need to reduce every portage category to the fewest
4 > > characters possible? Don't you have tab completion set up on your
5 > > system yet? :)
6 >
7 > and if tab completion doesnt work ? or you're using a category name
8 > in a script ? i hate having to figure out exactly how to spell these
9 > things :p
10
11 Which is one of the reasons why I am behind the idea of *unique* package
12 names, even if that involves some redundand naming. It's for the greater
13 good. The package name being tied to its category is evil and it also
14 means that we'll never see multiple categories per package, or more
15 descriptive category names, or any other of these goodies. Ever.
18 *> Georgi Georgiev *> Lost interest? It's so bad I've lost *>
19 <* chutz@×××.net <* apathy. <*
20 *> +81(90)6266-1163 *> *>
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list