From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Shouldn't gcc-4.1-related bugs have some kind of priority as gcc-4.1 is now unmasked?
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:41:31
1 On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 22:36 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Thursday 08 June 2006 15:34, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > Actually, this isn't exactly true. In the case of a compile fix, such
4 > > as this, the developer is aware of the issue, and gcc-porting@ is on the
5 > > bug, too, as CC, usually. If someone from gcc-porting were to go around
6 > > committing patches to my ebuilds, I know I wouldn't mind. It would
7 > > reduce my workload greatly, especially as they're the experts on what is
8 > > and isn't allowed in gcc 4.1, versus myself, who is a gcc 4.1
9 > > amateur. ;]
10 > >
11 > > The truth is that there's tens of thousands of possible patch-providers
12 > > (users) and only ~300 people with commit rights. Even fewer when you
13 > > consider that the package in question may have a single maintainer, or
14 > > only a small team. Most of the packages that are blocking that bug are
15 > > games. We're working on them, but there's a small group of us and a
16 > > very large number of packages, many of which are very poorly coded and
17 > > require a lot of work and testing.
18 >
19 > Perhaps we should do something about this problem. There are still many
20 > committers. Take myself for example, I have (of course) my own overlay, and
21 > sometimes I must confess that I just fix these kinds of bugs for myself, add
22 > it to my overlay and forget about it. Perhaps if it were easier to fix these
23 > things in tree, it would be better for gentoo. I do not mean to say that it
24 > should become a free-for-all, but fixing these kinds of issues is beneficial.
25
26 If *any* developer came to us with a patch for GCC 4.1.1 and one of our
27 games and asks if they can fix it, I know for a fact that I will
28 definitely say yes. I'm pretty sure none of the other guys would object
29 to it, either.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
34 x86 Architecture Team