From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] newsitem: openrc runscript transition (draft 3)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 22:52:09
1 On 2016-08-24 23:59, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Since OpenRC is used outside of Gentoo, a warning like this would have
3 > to be:
4 >
5 > * /etc/init.d/test uses runscript and must be converted to openrc-run
6 > * For more details see the OpenRC NEWS file
7 >
8 > because we don't know where or if the file will be installed by
9 > downstreams.
10
11 Yes, this will be the message in OpenRC's SRC. However you could patch
12 that message for Gentoo in the ebuild.
15 >> In "/usr/share/doc/openrc-*/openrc-migration*" we describe _why_ this
16 >> was changed and tell them that all files in FILESDIR were already
17 >> migrated so chances are high that
18 >>
19 >> # emerge --oneshot -av $(grep -l '/sbin/runscript' /etc/init.d/*)
20 >>
21 >> will replace most runscripts with migrated scripts.
22 >>
23 >> If the user has already done that he/she should check which packages
24 >> owns the runscript (qfile /etc/init.d/foo) and should file a bug against
25 >> that package.
26 >
27 > We can't really put anything distro-specific in the news file, because we
28 > don't know how distros will handle it.
29
30 ...now with the patched message you can promote our own file. And this
31 file can get installed from $FILESDIR for example.
32
33 You are using GitHub for OpenRC upstream, right? So create a guide in
34 project's Wiki (or add it to the docs folder in the src) which will
35 explain the changes. This guide can have a section to explain what to do
36 on Debian, one for Gentoo... but this is all upstream.
37
38 My point is, that for Gentoo downstream, you can patch/customize like we
39 do for all the other packages to work with Gentoo.
42 >> And as additional help sys-apps/openrc ebuild should start scanning for
43 >> "/sbin/runscript" usage in pkg_postinst and show an ewarn with text
44 >
45 > I wouldn't say that the OpenRC ebuild should be concerned about this,
46 > but I believe there is a check in repoman for it.
47
48 I agree. However I see that more like a service for Gentoo users. Users
49 don't run repoman. And don't forget that the user could have _custom_
50 runscripts or additional packages from other sources which repoman will
51 never see... so it is nice to have a friendly reminder (the problem is,
52 that if an user acts _now_ and fixes all currently installed runscripts
53 he/she could face the problem in future again if he/she installs a new
54 package after that which wasn't updated yet... that's why I would add
55 such a scan).
58 ...and we don't need to believe to catch all the runscripts in the world
59 even if openrc-1.0.0 will be released in 100y. Some user will finally
60 notice with the newsitem prior openrc-1.0.0 release which will tell them
61 that /sbin/runscript was finally removed... but there _will_ be users
62 after that which will get hit. And they will complain "you" broke their
63 system despite all the effort to prevent such situations. ;-)
67 Regards,
68 Thomas