From: Steven J Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 21:51:31
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:14:52 +0100
4 > Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de> wrote:
5 >
6 >> * Micha?? Górny <mgorny@g.o> schrieb:
7 >>
8 >> > Does working hard involve compiling even more packages statically?
9 >>
10 >> I guess, he means keeping udev in / ?
11 >
12 > Because adding 80 KiB of initramfs hurts so much? We should then put
13 > more work just to ensure that admin doesn't have to waste 15 minutes to
14 > recompile the kernel (if necessary), create an initramfs and add it to
15 > bootloader config?
16 >
17 Isn't it also a question of making sure the new "rootfs is initfs" metaphor
18 will always work, which requires all the standard utilities, plus any admin
19 stuff that might be required, to be available in cases of system-recovery?
20
21 The latter is already somewhat nebulous for a lot of people, which is why
22 it's nice when distributions do it for you (traditionally by making tools
23 available on the rootfs.)
24
25 Point is, those utilities all need to be kept up to date with any changes in
26 the underlying packages, which adds another layer of complexity (and may
27 require some static builds.)
28 --
29 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)