From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Dealing with GitHub Pull Requests the easy way
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 13:37:00
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 05:08:13PM -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > Forgive me, but I don't see why people have so much trouble with
3 > copyright wrt Gentoo. I've simply assumed anything I wrote for Gentoo
4 > would be attributed to me via git log information and/or metadata.xml
5 > and should I leave Gentoo, Gentoo keeps the rights to it since I'm
6 > contributing to it. Nothing stops me from pushing ebuilds to my personal
7 > overlay *and* the primary Gentoo tree.
8
9 Note, lots of people (i.e. almost anyone who is employed in the US), are
10 in the situation where the copyright ownership of your contributions are
11 not owned by yourself, so you can not give the copyright away to the
12 Gentoo Foundation without an explicit legal document from that owner
13 granting that copyright transfer (or additional ownership.)
14
15 So this is a real issue, and a problem, for many of our developers
16 (myself included), which is why many many years ago some of us worked to
17 get that copyright ownership document removed.
18
19 > With a DCO, it greatly complicates things. Would my right to keep my
20 > contributions in an overlay be infringed upon? What would change if we
21 > switch to this?
22
23 Nothing, it just explicitly calls out that you know the contribution you
24 are making is allowed and under the license of the file/project you are
25 contributing to. It does not change the ownership of the copyright of
26 the contribution at all. It's a very simple document, I think I've
27 written more words in this email than the whole document has, I suggest
28 reading it for all of the details.
29
30 thanks,
31