From: Michael Marineau <marineam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /etc/profile.d/
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 01:58:17
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Friday 15 July 2005 09:25 pm, Michael Marineau wrote:
6 >>Does the risk of abuse outweigh the potential usefulness that much? My
7 >>vote would be to do more of this sort of thing. Reducing the
8 >>oppertunity for users to shoot themselves in the foot would be good.
11 > err i dont see what this topic has to do with baselayout's problems
12 > with /etc/profile.d functionality
13 >
14 > we could care less what users do with /etc/profile.d ... the point is that
15 > *only* users should use /etc/profile.d ... we dont want random Gentoo
16 > developer Foo installing some Bar.sh into /etc/profile.d with package
17 > app-crap/FooBar
18 > -mike
19
20 I just ment that by providing profile.d (and similar things) would let
21 users customize
22 their profile without having to edit a gentoo installed file, making
23 upgrades a bit
24 easier. To prevent abuse perhaps portage could enforce a blacklist of
25 locations that
26 are reserved for users. (/root and /usr/local could also be
27 blacklisted). But on the other
28 hand profile.d isn't that big of an issue as users won't blow away
29 their /etc/profile as long
30 as they use etc-update properly.
33 Michael Marineau
34 marineam@g.o