From: Tom Wesley <tom.wesley@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] No XFree86 w/ new license
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 10:55:25
1 On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:25:53AM +0100, John Nilsson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 10:52, Phil Richards wrote:
3 > > On 2004-02-27, John Nilsson <john@×××××××.nu> wrote:
4 > > > It is not the same thing. If Xfree86 can be argued to be a standard
5 > > > componet of a system Gentoo can COMPLY with the Xfree86 License AND be
6 > > > compatible with the GPL for those applications linking wiht Xfree86.
7 > >
8 > > Yes, but the point is it *can't* be argued sensibly. The argument put
9 > > forward was (basically) "it makes the system more acceptable to end-users".
10 > > Well, so would including "Microsoft Office".
11
12 I believe that this point is void - Microsoft Office license will not allow distribution without payment to MS. XFree's will.
15 > > You *don't* need XFree86 to make a Linux-based operating system. Period.
16 > > No question, no argument, no discussion. It is therefore *not* one of
17 > > the "standard libraries that accompany the operating system" - the only
18 > > get-out-of-jail-free card that the GPL allows you to play. It is an
19 > > add-on to the core operating system for specific end-users - those that
20 > > want a user interface.
23 It is argued that XFree is a core component of a Linux desktop, and therefore qualifies for the exemption in the GPL, similar to Win32 versions of Gaim linking to core components of Windows. (I imagine that it must, on some level, link to the graphics rendering libraries?)
24
25 > > You could build a distribution that didn't violate the GPL, but you
26 > > might find that people wouldn't like it very much - there are lots of
27 > > things that are GPL'd that you would no longer be able to distrbute with
28 > > it. (Not everything, only those that link against X - like Gnome, gtk...)
29 > >
30 > > I think these arguments have been done to death already... I'll shut up now.
31 > >
32 > > phil
33 >
34 > I think you are wrong. ;) I think it *can* be argued sensibly. For these
35 > reasons.
36 >
37 > 1. Virtually all operating systems today ships with some GUI.
38 > 2. GNU (as in Gnu Public License) seems to regard the X Windows System
39 > as a core system component.
40 >
41 > All you *need* for a linux based operating system is linux and a static
42 > binary called /sbin/init. Clearly the "Base system" referred to in GPL
43 > extends to more than that.
44
45 I agree.
48 > Even though I argue for compatibility, I still think it is correct to
49 > not ship XFree86. Mostly because Gentoo would and the OSS world would be
50 > far better of with a more "geekish" and open development of the X11
51 > implementation.
52 >
53 > -John
57 Tom Wesley