From: Marko Mikulicic <marko@××××.org>
To: Daniel Armyr <daniel.armyr@××××.se>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 09:50:26
1 On Giovedì, giugno 5, 2003, at 10:00 AM, Daniel Armyr wrote:
2
4 > Hash: SHA1
5 >
6 >> b. you wouldn't have to build a new tool, filesystems
7 >> capable of handling these kind of attributes have them already
8 >
9 > Do Reiser/ext2/ext3 etc support this? If not, I assume this would mean
10 > one needs a separade partition for /usr/portage, no? Althought using
11 > allready available tools is a good thing, I feel needing yet another
12 > partition complicates things, as well allowing less HD space to be
13 > used.
14 >
15 1) there is support for ext2/ext3 extended attributes, but is currently
16 available only as kernel patches.
17 2) you don't need to have another partition with (say) XFS, you could
18 create a loopback filesystem
19 for /usr/portage (xfs_growfs can grow filesystem online).
20 3) it's complicated. that's guaranteed.
21
22 From a theorical point of view I welcome any innovation in the
23 filesystem.
24 Extended attributes and posix ACLs are just a little step, if you
25 compare it with the features
26 which the OpenVMS filesystem has, but however we live in a UNIX world
27 and
28 that means tar, ftp, nfs, scp .... all these tools would simply drop
29 the extended attributes.
30 (star can save ACLs but not generic extended attributes)
31 The Apple approach to UNIX has made me think about it; they came from
32 an attributed
33 filesystem which also allowed multiple data streams (forks) and
34 switched back to a standard UNIX flat fs.
35 The structured files the once had are now built with directories and
36 the highest level of UI hides this
37 trick and treats those "special" directories as files. This approach is
38 not very elegant, expecially when
39 you use command-line tools that does not obey to this abstraction, but
40 is compatible with all file transfer
41 and publishing methods.
42 I don't know what is best. Today you have to cope with a long history
43 and inertia has it's own inertia.
44
45 Marko
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list