From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] G/FBSD compatibility: root:root and cp -a
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:11:18
1 Ok, to help devels know which are the requisites of Gentoo/FreeBSD porting (as
2 we're going near to a release, I hope), I think it's better telling here what
3 we hope you all will avoid (and we must replace when keywording).
4 Those problems are also valid for ppc-macos AFAIK, so you won't help just us,
5 but also ppc-macos project.
6
7 The first one is the root:root problem (there's no root group in *BSD and
8 BSD-based systems); the solution is usually using 0:0 to chown. If nobody is
9 going to disagrees with this, I think this solution is what we should use.
10
11 The other problem is with cp -a: -a is a GNU option which is not supported by
12 non-GNU cp commands. As the man pages says, it's equivalent to -dpPR.
13 Unfortuately -dpPR is not portable in itself, but usually what you need is
14 -pPR which works just fine usually.
15
16 I'm not going to have a big immediate change of all the ebuilds in portage,
17 but at least I hope new ebuilds doesn't get added with those problems in
18 them :)
19
20 HTH,
21 --
22 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
23 Gentoo Developer - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
24 (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64, Sound, PAM)