From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 06:50:32
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:10:43 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > it was purely to keep people from continuing to whine with circular
4 > logic.
5 > if bugzilla had a way to temporarily lock comments, i would have used
6 > that.
7
8 In theory, that'd be a useful feature. In fact, probably not so much, as
9 it simply encourages people to complain much more visibly, very possibly
10 in a PR-adverse way.
11
12 You could see it was circular logic, but what if he had blogged about it
13 and that blog had hit the FLOSS media circuit? How many FLOSS reporters
14 would have seen that it was circular logic based on his blog and a locked
15 (comment or visibility) bug? What about all their readers?
16
17 Additionally, that bug was referenced in a number of changelog entries.
18 How useful is a link to a locked bug, for those looking for more info, as
19 I, for instance did (as I often do with -rX bumps, since information
20 that's significant enough to cause a gentoo revision bump in the absence
21 of an upstream version bump is often significant enough for me as an
22 admin to want to be aware of)?
23
24 Unfortunately, locking a bug to kill the whining is likely to have rather
25 more negative effects than one might have anticipated. One would think
26 comment locking would be a logical enough extension to have been
27 implemented by now; perhaps this is why it hasn't been. (Full visibility
28 locking is of course different, security bugs and all.)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman