From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Python 2 cleanup: remaining packages, Dec 2020 update
Date: Sat, 05 Dec 2020 12:31:56
1 Hi!
2
3 On Fri, 4 Dec 2020 10:07:21 +0100 Marek Szuba wrote:
4 > On 2020-12-04 01:54, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >
6 > >>> Waiting for py3 port (likely last rite candidates):
7 > >>> - games-engines/renpy
8 > >>
9 > >> RenPy 7.4.0, released on the 26th of November, features "new Python 3
10 > >> compatibility mode". It is of course up to the maintainer of this
11 > >> package to decide how to proceed but were this up to me, I would very
12 > >> much rather version-bump games-engines/renpy (in spite of 7.4.0 being
13 > >> described by upstream as a pre-release) than last-rite it altogether.
14
15 Looks like you misunderstood what "Python 3 compatibility mode"
16 means. See official explanation:
17 https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html#python-2-python-3-compatibility-mode
18 *****************************************************
19 Full Changelog
20 7.4.0
21 [...]
22 Python 2/Python 3 Compatibility Mode
23
24 While Ren'Py is not yet supported on Python 3, this release of
25 Ren'Py includes several features to allow you to begin writing
26 scripts that will work on both Python 2 and Python 3.
27 *****************************************************
28
29 Just to be sure I tried to build renpy-7.4.0 using python3: it
30 fails because it still uses python2 code inside (but with import
31 future, so it can support scripts in python 3).
32
33 Python3 support for the RenPy itself is expected in 8.0 version.
34
35 > > Sure but I'm afraid the games will need explicit porting to py3 as well.
36 >
37 > Well, the games will probably have to go - if I see correctly we have
38 > currently got 4 games-engines/renpy revdeps in the tree
39 > (games-misc/katawa-shoujo, games-rpg/asphyxia, games-rpg/sakura-spirit,
40 > games-rpg/the-royal-trap) and they all explicitly depend on a slotted
41 > older version of the engine.
42
43 1. pygame_sdl2 is ported to python3, so there is no need to remove
44 it even if renpy will be temporarily gone.
45
46 2. It should be possible to keep renpy and games as masked in the
47 tree, but this will require users to setup some python2 env
48 themselves. If this is an acceptable option, I can bump renpy to
49 7.4.0 in the tree.
50
51 Best regards,
52 Andrew Savchenko