From: ross b girshick <rossgir@××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] "Updating Portage Cache" optimizations
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:56:26
1 > Having not seen the current code at all, but if it is as you say, I should think an rsync would be more efficient to do.
2 > As for proper channels, please point your browser to bugs.gentoo.org
3
4 The cache in /metadata/cache is updated through rsync. Though it seems
5 that it is not guaranteed to be up-to-date (I haven't studied how to set
6 up a gentoo rsync mirror, so I'm not sure how and when the cache is
7 compiled). If this cache was guaranteed to be up-to-date, then
8 /var/cache/edb/dep would be 100% redundant. Right now it's 98% redundant,
9 and emerge spends a lot of time regenerating that missing 2%.
10
11 Ross
15 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list