From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: www-client/chromium gtk3 support
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:42:00
1 On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:13:48 -0400 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> USE=gui or something like that if the main effect is to have a gui or
5 >> not.
6 >> That is the sort of thing that SHOULD go in make.conf or in a profile.
7 >> If disabling gtk makes it a console-only application then use the gui
8 >> flag.
9 >
10 > I like the general proposal, but since it's going to council, can we try
11 > to kill another bird with the same stone? This USE=gui helps...
12 >
13 > Wayland's coming, and to the extent that USE=X has previously indicated a
14 > GUI, much like USE=gtk and USE=qt indicating the same thing, we're going
15 > to have problems.
16 >
17 > Can we make USE=gui the generic policy for that, and deprecate more
18 > specific forms for choosing /any/ gui, so they can be used for choosing
19 > /which/ gui?
20
21 That was exactly why I used "gui" and not "X". We're going to run
22 into the exact same problem once Wayland comes along with the way
23 things have been done so far.
26 > The question then remains whether ncurses, etc, should be treated as a
27 > gui. Maybe make mention of that one way or the other in the policy as
28 > well.
31 I actually was pondering that and left it out of my email. My gut
32 feeling is that ncurses should be left alone for now. USE=-gui would
33 mean console-only, whether that happens to include support for
34 ncurses, aa, or whatever.
35
36 Are there any applications out there which behave dramatically
37 differently if they do/don't have ncurses support built-in? If you
38 set TERM=dumb I imagine that software which actually supports this
39 would just behave accordingly (ie if it is just using colors or moving
40 progress bars or whatever it will drop the decorations). Usually
41 though dumb terminal software tends to be somewhat dedicated (for
42 things like editors and the like).
43
44 I don't want to complicate things if nobody really cares about them.
45 However, in theory you could treat various console-enhancing libraries
46 in the same way. There is also svgalib and the like.
49 Rich