From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo: State of the Union
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 12:28:50
1 On 30/04/06, Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 12:50:45AM -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > While we're posting useful links, here's another one from the cairo
4 > > project on switching from CVS to some distributed SCM:
5 >
6 > All this talk about switching to a more powerful SCM I can understand
7 > - but what would the purpose of switching the portage tree to a
8 > distributed SCM be?
9
10 The main purpose that comes to mind is to help the groups working in
11 overlays (layman -L shows 28 current overlays; there may be more). It
12 should enable easier merging of trees, local tree management, sharing
13 experimental changes between devs without commiting to the main tree,
14 while still retaining the possibility of easily pushing changes back
15 to the main gentoo tree.
18 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list