From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: Ron O'Hara <rono@×××××××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Large scale deployments - and portage
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:16:57
1 On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 08:09:03AM +1000, Ron O'Hara wrote:
2 > I may have missed something in all the docs, but as far as I can see
3 > there is what should be a fairly simple enhancement to portage that
4 > would help considerably in making Gentoo more practical in larger
5 > deployments.
6 I do it in the same way that I handle FreeBSD systems. I have a single
7 copy of the tree on a read-only NFS mount. I also have a minimal overlay
8 tree that is also on a read-only NFS mount with some custom packages. I
9 can manipulate that copy as I see fit, and it's already at all the
10 machines.
11
12 I have 26 machines at work currently running Gentoo, 6 of those are
13 workstations and the rest servers. I'm actually going to be migrating
14 the workstations back to Redhat due to pressure from users, but the
15 servers are staying Gentoo.
18 Robin Hugh Johnson
19 E-Mail : robbat2@××××××××××××××.net
20 Home Page : http://www.orbis-terrarum.net/?l=people.robbat2
21 ICQ# : 30269588 or 41961639
22 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85