From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A more natural (human-friendly) syntax for dependencies
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 19:03:34
1 oops, didn't reply to the list. re-sending
2
3 On Sat, 2012-09-22 at 19:19 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 10:05:41 -0700
5
6 > So, I think you just don't like it and are inventing disadvantages
7 > without even caring enough to consider them before writing.
10 Oh, I considered it for the past 4 hours before responding. Got nothing
11 in favour of it.
12
13 The current atom format and syntax in CONSISTENT throughout the configs,
14 and PM code. This proposal would split that in two, configs, ebuilds
15 one format, everything else the old.
16
17 quote "
18 Mine is easily incorporated into the PM; it is just a change
19 in a single place splitting and parsing the tokens.
20 "
21 That is unless you also change all the code to the new format and a new
22 data type.
23
24 I have written *DEPEND processing code (porthole's grahical Dependencies
25 view) and worked on code in portage, pkgcore, gentoolkit, gpytage,...
26 all working with the current atom syntax. This proposed change would
27 require all those tools and more to be refactored too!
28
29 So, to throw your words back at you:
30
31 This proposal was submitted ... "without even caring enough to consider
32 them before writing."
35 enough said.
36 --
37 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>