From: splite-gentoo@××××××××××××××××.edu
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] devfs dependancy
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 18:46:35
1 On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 12:50:00PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 >
3 > nothing really 'depends' on devfs, it just makes management of /dev/ a HELL
4 > of a lot nicer ...
5
6 That's debatable. I spent _way_ more time reading devfs* manpages, fiddling
7 with /etc/devfs*, checking /lib/dev-state, and SIGHUPing devfsd(8) to get my
8 device files set up to taste than it would have taken to just run chown(1)
9 and chmod(1) in /dev.
10
11 Then there's the "/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2" nonsense. If I
12 wanted baroque Solaris-style device naming plus dozens of compatibility
13 symlinks, I'd run Solaris.
14
15 A famous engineer will one day say, "The more they over-think the plumbing,
16 the easier it is to stop up the drain."
17
18 > i know i hated looking around /dev in my old slackware
19 > install ... it has hundreds of useless dev files ...
20
21 rm(1) is your friend there.
22
23 Like Blue Oyster Cult almost said, "Come on baby, don't fear the MAKEDEV".
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list