From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Discontinuing LibreSSL support?
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 09:39:14
1 On Mon, 2020-12-28 at 23:18 +0000, Peter Stuge wrote:
2 > Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > > A. It is a distinct implementation with probably /quite some/
4 > > > stable
5 > > > compatibility, meaning that it will work perfectly fine as an
6 > > > alternative in many cases.
7 > >
8 > > Except that it doesn't, as has been proven numerous times.
9 >
10 > I'm sure that there are numerous cases where libressl doesn't work,
11 > but that's no reason to dismiss cases where it *does*.
12
13 Are you asking people to put an effort into maintaining something that
14 can't be practically installed? 'I don't use a single Qt application
15 (yet!), so I demand you support LibreSSL for me!'
16
17 A side effect of this approach is that users will be tricked into using
18 LibreSSL, only to discover that they eventually have to transition
19 their systems back. We have been there with LibAV. However, unlike
20 LibAV, transition between SSL providers is non-trivial.
21
22 > Did anyone gather actual numbers?
23
24 $ find -name '*libressl*.patch' | grep -v dev-libs/libressl | wc -l
25 61
26
27 That's just the tip of the iceberg. Nobody's going to be able to even
28 guess how many upstream have accepted *bad* patches. How many packages
29 are forcing obsolete algorithms because someone added '!libressl'
30 conditions because LibreSSL keeps pretending to be a newer OpenSSL
31 version without actually implementing its API.
32
33 > > > B. It brings its own TLS API, a unique feature which by itself
34 > > > warrants the package.
35 > >
36 > > ...which by itself has no future
37 >
38 > That's arrogant and silly coming from anywhere but upstream.
39 >
40 > You can argue that you will never use the API in your TLS programs,
41 > but even then that says really nothing about the API provider itself.
42
43 That's my opinion and I have a right to have it without being insulted.
44
45 I don't dispute whether it's good. I dispute whether tightly binding
46 it to a problematic LibreSSL is a good idea. Sure, this means that
47 some people will be forced to use LibreSSL because of libtls.
48
49 But in practice, this means that any upstream starting to use libtls
50 does a huge disservice to their users by preventing them from using
51 their preferred SSL provider. So in the end, you either don't use
52 libtls or your users are in pain.
53
54 Actually, I see that someone has apparently forked libtls into libretls
55 (the irony!) that works against OpenSSL [1].
56
57 [1] https://git.causal.agency/libretls/about/
61 Best regards,
62 Michał Górny