From: Sylvain Alain <d2racing911@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] openrc portage news item
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:28:12
1 2011/4/14 Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@g.o>
2
3 > On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:51:55 +0200
4 > Tomá? Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Thursday 14 of April 2011 13:32:04 Kfir Lavi wrote:
7 > > > When i run world update, I usually don't really check all the
8 > > > written stuff.
9 > > >
10 > > > If I do this, I'm sure a lot more Gentoo users do the same.
11 > > > So do expect people rebooting the machine without checking what
12 > > > your have wrote.
13 > > > This can be a major headache if you have few systems that are doing
14 > > > auto updates.
15 > > > I would solve this issue by stopping the emerge and getting the
16 > > > attention of the user.
17 > > > If I don't get the attention of the user, no openrc will be
18 > > > installed. It should be something like emerge -C ... 1 .2 3 4 5...
19 > > >
20 > > > To conclude, you can't issue such a change without proper
21 > > > confirmation from the user.
22 > > >
23 > > This was discussed multiple times, news items are to be read.
24 > > Users ignore elog informations/web announcements/... so it was agreed
25 > > that news item is agressive enough to user so they must read it.
26 > > If they don't do so it is just their fault.
27 > > And no runtime changing for portage where it expect some input is
28 > > seriously stupid idea, most of us script updates in batch and noone
29 > > would actualy read it.
30 > >
31 > > Never the less as I said we expect user to read that stuff and if he
32 > > does not he is on his own due to his dumb approach.
33 >
34 > Maybe we should underline our intention by having that policy
35 > documented in the installation handbook. A good place may be section 2
36 > "Working with
37 > Gentoo" (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2).
38 >
39 > At least all newbies will stumble upon it once.
40 >
41 > Regards,
42 > Thomas.
45 Yeah, before the stabilization of OpenRc and Baselayout 2.x, the Gentoo
46 handbook really need to be updated too.
47
48 I don't see how a newbie should be able to install his box with an outdated
49 handbook.
52 Salut
53 alp
54 Sylvain