From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibGL.la removal news item for =eselect-opengl-1.1.1-r2 going stable
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:58:46
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:

> I wonder why the affected package (eselect-opengl) couldn't run > lafilefixer itself. It's mandatory for all users, and would save a lot > of frustration.
It is not mandatory: You could as well re-emerge the affected packages (shown by revdep-rebuild) which is a much cleaner solution, since it does not break the portage database like lafilefixer does. (Yes, I know that this might involve manual fixing the order shown by revdep-rebuild or emerging packages twice or packages not listed, but it *is* possible to do it cleanly).
> And I think we're doing something similar with gcc (fix_libtool_files.sh > seems to run automatically on gcc upgrade).
Yes, this is terrible: I actually considered filing a bug about it, requesting to make it at least only optional. Please: When you run tools which break checksums/dates of the database, give the user the possibility to decide whether he really wants this. For instance, USE="+lafilefixer" might be such an option. Martin