From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LibGL.la removal news item for =eselect-opengl-1.1.1-r2 going stable
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:58:46
1 On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
2
3 > I wonder why the affected package (eselect-opengl) couldn't run
4 > lafilefixer itself. It's mandatory for all users, and would save a lot
5 > of frustration.
6
7 It is not mandatory: You could as well re-emerge the affected packages
8 (shown by revdep-rebuild) which is a much cleaner solution, since it
9 does not break the portage database like lafilefixer does.
10 (Yes, I know that this might involve manual fixing the order shown
11 by revdep-rebuild or emerging packages twice or packages not listed,
12 but it *is* possible to do it cleanly).
13
14 > And I think we're doing something similar with gcc (fix_libtool_files.sh
15 > seems to run automatically on gcc upgrade).
16
17 Yes, this is terrible: I actually considered filing a bug about it,
18 requesting to make it at least only optional.
19
20 Please: When you run tools which break checksums/dates of the database,
21 give the user the possibility to decide whether he really wants this.
22 For instance, USE="+lafilefixer" might be such an option.
23
24 Martin