From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GTK USE flag situation (gtk, gtk2, gtk3; relevant to bug #420493)
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 00:20:14
1 >>>>> On Wed, 12 Feb 2014, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2
3 > But applications is whole different story...
4
5 > The maintainer makes the decision which toolkit is used and best
6 > supported. If some application has initial port to gtk3, but still
7 > lacks some features the gtk2 version still had, then maintainer
8 > makes the smart choice of using the version that has all the
9 > features, if the maintainer deems those features important. There is
10 > no point in having them in parallel, it only increases the workload,
11 > making maintainer do double-testing of the application, not to
12 > mention the work it causes later when gtk2 is slated obsolete as
13 > gtk1 is now
14
15 Let's take Emacs as an example. The upstream package supports Athena
16 widgets (both in Xaw and Xaw3d variants), Motif, GTK2, and GTK3.
17 Currently there are five USE flags to control this, and I'm convinced
18 that the right solution is to leave this choice to the user.
19
20 (And if I was forced to decide on the toolkit for Emacs, then I
21 wouldn't even pick GTK, for stability reasons ...)
22
23 Ulrich