From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Announce: Distro independent OSS QM Project
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:03:24
1 Hi folks,
4 I'm maintaining patches with fixes for dozens of packages for
5 quite some time. These patches are needed since releases are
6 often quite broken (ie. crosscompiling doesn't work) or there
7 are other things which make sysop's or distro maintainer's
8 life evrything but easy.
9
10 Most of the patches are just (little) fixes to get the packages
11 built properly or provide a finer build configuration. I had to
12 learn that such things tend to require quite a long time to
13 get into the upstream.
14
15 So I'm maintaining a repository of patches which is directly used
16 by my distro builder (I've got my own buildsystem a little bit
17 like emerge, but specialized on building for foreign systems
18 using sysroot'ed crosscompiling, etc, mainly for embedded systems)
19
20 Since many distros maintain their own patch repositories and
21 ivest mucht work in QM each by their own, I'd like to get these
22 efforts merged to one great OpenSource QM project.
23
24 The idea behind is:
25
26 + Each individual release of a certain package is inspected
27 by its own.
28 + The OSS-QM provides patches (hotfixes) for each individual
29 release, if necessary.
30 + We've got several quality stamps, which an (maybe patched)
31 release can get, ie.
32 * clean builds
33 * clean installations
34 * relocation capabilities (ie. GNU's or FHS style)
35 * optimization capabilities (ie. can proper CFLAGS be passed ?)
36 * stability (open bugs ? unsolved problems ? ...)
37 ...
40 I've written down some lines about this project in my wiki:
41
42 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
45 Maybe someone here's interested in it ?
48 cu
49 --
50 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
51 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service
52
53 phone: +49 36207 519931 www: http://www.metux.de/
54 fax: +49 36207 519932 email: contact@×××××.de
55 cellphone: +49 174 7066481
57 -- DSL ab 0 Euro. -- statische IP -- UUCP -- Hosting -- Webshops --
59 --
60 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list