From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC pre-GLEP] Gentoo Git Workflow
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 10:38:47
1 Am Dienstag, 25. Juli 2017, 10:05:06 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
2 > Hi, everyone.
3 >
4 > There have been multiple attempts at grasping this but none so far
5 > resulted in something official and indisputable. At the same time, we
6 > end having to point our users at semi-official guides which change
7 > in unpredictable ways.
8 >
9 > Here's the current draft:
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:MGorny/GLEP:Git
11 >
12 > The basic idea is that the GLEP provides basic guidelines for using git,
13 > and then we write a proper manual on top of it (right now, all the pages
14 > about it end up as a mix of requirements and a partial git manual).
15 >
16 > What do you think about it? Is there anything else that needs being
17 > covered?
18
19 TL;DR: I like it; minor comments on the commit message format (surprise). We
20 should strive to provide consistent standards for it.
23 > ===Commit messages===
24 [...]
25 > If a bug is associated
26 > with a change, then it should be included in the summary line as
27 > <kbd>#nnnnnn</kbd> or likewise.
28
29 ..., for practical reasons in a format that is recognized by willikins.
30 So, please DON'T do "... fixes #234987".
31
32 I suggest we recommend a plain "... bug 234567 ..."
33
34 So far, "bug x" in our repository by default refers to the Gentoo bugzilla,
35 and it makes sense to stick with that.
38 > The tag part is included in the full commit log as an extension to the
39 > body. It consists of one or more lines consisting of key, followed by a
40 > colon and a space, followed by value. Git does not enforce any
41 > standardization of the keys, and the tag format is ''not'' meant for
42 > machine processing.
43 >
44 > A few tags of common use are:
45 [...]
47 > reference a bug,
48 > ** <kbd>Closes: <nowiki>https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/NNNN</nowi
49 > ki></kbd>; — to automatically close a GitHub pull request,
51 > to indicate a fixed bug,
52
53 I would like to suggest that *if* such tags are used, we require that they
54 should always contain a full URL to an issue tracker or code source.
55
56 This allows generic referencing of other bug trackers, leaves developers the
57 option to auto-handle github-specific things, and still (for the purists)
58 doesn't require mentioning Github in the GLEP.
63 Andreas K. Hüttel
64 dilfridge@g.o
65 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)