From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI-2 and src_configure in eclasses
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 15:17:30
1 On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 17:07:40 +0200
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > Maybe eclasses should die on unknown eapi; the fact is I really hate
4 > the current way it's done when switching an ebuild to EAPI-2 which
5 > uses an eclass that exports src_compile; most eclasses don't special
6 > case eapi-2 yet and we end up running econf twice at best. I fear
7 > that'll be the same with eapi-3, eapi-4, etc. (supposing that they'll
8 > support src_configure too)
9
10 There's currently no mechanism for an ebuild or eclass to 'die' in
11 global scope.
12
13 It's something that could be available for future EAPIs without too
14 much difficulty, though... We discussed this for Exherbo, and decided
15 upon something like this:
16
17 * Add a new metadata key called BROKENNESS.
18
19 * Any ID with non-empty BROKENNESS is treated as being hard masked and
20 not unmaskable by the user, in the same way than an unknown EAPI is.
21
22 * Add a function which can only be called in global scope that adds an
23 item to BROKENNESS. This does *not* prevent further sourcing.
24
25 This one hopefully shouldn't be too hard to implement (Zac?). If people
26 are running into excessive difficulties with eclasses, it might be
27 worth doing an EAPI 3 quickly with just this addition...
30 Ciaran McCreesh