From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Hosting daily gx86 squashfs images and deltas
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 23:32:17
1 Michał Górny posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:30:00 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Dnia 2014-01-17, o godz. 19:19:14 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
4 > napisał(a):
5 >
6 >> Michał Górny posted on Fri, 17 Jan 2014 17:27:30 +0100 as excerpted:
7 >>
8 >> > 96M portage-20140108.sqfs
9
10 >> > For deltas [...]
11 >> >
12 >> > 6,3M portage-20140109.sqfs-portage-20140110.sqfs.vcdiff.djw
13
14 >> > applying it takes ~2.5 second on my 2 GHz Athlon64.
15 >>
16 >> diffs are ~1/16 the full squashfs size[.] So people updating once a
17 >> week [or] 10 days would see a bandwidth savings, provided the sync
18 >> script was intelligent enough to apply updates serially.
19 >>
20 >> The breakover point would be roughly an update every two weeks, or
21 >> twice a month
22 >
23 > However, it may be actually beneficial to provide other durations, like
24 > weekly deltas. In my tests, the daily updates for this week summed up to
25 > almost 50M while the weekly was barely 20M.
26
27 That's useful additional data. Thanks.
28
29 And yes, a weekly delta would be quite useful, taking the breakover point
30 out to about a month or so. Practically speaking, I'd guess most
31 gentooers update once a month or more, so that should cover the vast
32 majority. Beyond a month, just downloading a new full squashfs makes as
33 much sense anyway, and as the cutover would be automated, users on the
34 borderline wouldn't have to worry about whether they should just do the
35 normal sync or download an entirely new tarball, as they now need to do,
36 if they even bother at all. For those users, it'd be an even BIGGER win.
37
38 =:^)
43 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman