From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] busybox[sep-usr] support for mounting /usr w/out hassle
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 05:29:51
1 On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 12:48:55AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > it leaves your system in a hard to recover state because you happened to
3 > forget to check a filesystem option (which ironically isn't under Filesystems
4 > in the kernel). it's piss-poor user facing behavior.
5
6 Here's the situation.
7
8 Udev-182 mandates that a devtmpfs be mounted on /dev.
9 Udev-mount attempts to do this, and if it can't, it fails.
10 Since udev-mount fails, udev has to fail.
11
12 I would rather have had >=udev-182 refuse to merge if you don't have
13 config_devtmpfs in your kernel, but I was informed that is not allowed
14 because of build hosts.
15
16 If there is another way to handle this I'm all ears.
17
18 Thanks,
19
20 William