From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: sh versionator.eclass
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 10:44:48
1 On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 11:49 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > Which doesn't seem to be an answer to the question at all to me. My
4 > > question was basically about what the benefits are of changing the meta
5 > > information interpretation definition. In other words, if project X
6 > > says their code should be compiled with GCC, what are the benefits
7 > > exactly if you change that into "should be compiled with a C99 compliant
8 > > compiler", considering you are eventually interested in the produced
9 > > code only. (Is it worth it to teach/force devs to use something else
10 > > if this is only how to obtain the end product, which should run with
11 > > "anything"?)
12 >
13 > project X says their code should be compiled with GCC, should we deny
14 > the ICC users the ability to compile it?
15
16 that is project X's decision and no one else's. dont pull a stallman on us
17 and force everyone to subscribe to your ideas of "freedom". there's a reason
18 we told him to take a hike.
19 -mike