From: Michael Cummings <mcummings@g.o>
To: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Does anyone want|need a static (lib)perl still?
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:12:10
1 On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 09:52 -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > if the lib is meant to be used by other packages, then a static version should
3 > probably be offered for people who want to build static binaries ... although
4 > atm, the libperl ebuild doesnt actually produce a libperl.a does it ? and
5 > the perl ebuild installs libperl.a into a private directory which isnt really
6 > accessible to packages ...
7 > -mike
8 >
9 Right - libperl [the ebuild] builds the shared library, and perl [the
10 ebuild] builds and links against libperl.a, and places it back in its
11 private area (in a surreal world this is where libperl.so is supposed to
12 live also, so that you can have multiple libperl's on your box, but
13 that's a different flame fest and my toes are still toasting from this
14 morning). And since that libperl.a is only visible to those who know to
15 find it...my question comes full circle on whether anyone out there is
16 actively seeking out and using the static libperl.a :) I have no
17 intention of proposing dropping something that's being used - but if the
18 gist is that one guy on oslo is using it check disk sectors because it
19 meets his mythical needs for the perfect file size, and that's it, i'd
20 like to clean up the dual ebuild scenario (which causes its own
21 problems).
22
23 Bah. Way too much thinking involved.
24