From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] non-Gentoo stuff in our CVS
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 10:47:30
1 On Sunday 10 October 2004 22:36, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > On Sunday 10 October 2004 9:37 am, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 > > I feel that it is our best interest if developer made patches are
4 > > assigned to gentoo, but we could also do it by simple copyright
5 > > assignment (e.g. putting a header on the patch which says Copyright
6 > > Gentoo Foundation 200x)
7 >
8 > Doing this would prevent such patches from being submitted upstream to
9 > projects with just as absurd a policy (copyright assigned to only
10 > them). This kind of policy really prevents open source from being any
11 > better than proprietary software-- if both projects require exclusive
12 > ownership of the code, then either one or the other can use it, not
13 > both.
14
15 What I meant is that developers (helped by a written statement) assign
16 developer written/made patches to gentoo. Such patches would so contain a
17 copyright statement. If the patches are from someone else there would be
18 no statement and it is clear that the copyright is not with gentoo. The
19 copyright statement would then make clear where the copyright lies. If
20 developers want to defent their own copyright on a patch they will not
21 put a "copyright Gentoo Foundation" header in the file but e.g. a
22 "Copyright Paul de Vrieze" header.
23
24 Paul
27 Paul de Vrieze