From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: switching default udev provider for new systems to udev
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2020 15:23:56
1 On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 6:57 PM William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Hi Rich,
4 >
5 > > William - can you actually elaborate on WHY you want to change things?
6 > > Is there some problem with eudev? Is it actively maintained and
7 > > generally tracking upstream udev commits (minus whatever they
8 > > intentionally don't want to accept)?
9 >
10 > It is maintained primarily by one person the last time I checked, and I
11 > don't really know what he has included or not included from udev. What
12 > I can say is that the last release of eudev hit the tree a year ago,
13 > and I'm not sure about feature parity with udev.
14 >
15 > > I'd be curious as to a list of the practical differences between the
16 > > two at this point. For the longest time the only ones I was aware of
17 > > were the de-bundled build system, and the change in the default
18 > > persistent ethernet device name rule which was made in udev but not
19 > > made (by default) in eudev. Perhaps at this point there are other
20 > > differences.
21 >
22 > The only other one I know of is if you aren't using glibc udev will not
23 > compile, but I'm not even sure that is an issue still.
24 >
25 > The way I see it, we switched away from udev because of a fear that
26 > never materialized, and I'm not convinced that we have enough time to
27 > keep it in feature parity with udev which it needs to be to be the
28 > default provider.
31 Name the missing features in eudev.