From: Yannick Koehler <yannick.koehler@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: Objprelink revisited.
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:36:56
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 I thought this may be of interests.
9 - ---------- Forwarded Message ----------
10
11 Subject: Objprelink revisited.
12 Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:14:54 -0400
13 From: Leon Bottou <leon@××××××.org>
14 To: kde-devel@×××.org
15
16 John Ryland and I did some extra-work on objprelink.
17 Overview, explanations, details and benchmarks can be found in:
18 http://objprelink.sourceforge.net/objprelink.html
19
20 Summary of the conclusions:
21
22 - - Recent binutils have been improved and now offer
23 performance similar to the old version of objprelink.
24 In fact, the new binutils and the old objprelink
25 are two different ways to achieve the same
26 complexity reduction.
27
28 - - A new version, objprelink2, gives a new runtime link speedup.
29 But it no longer translate into improved KDE responsiveness
30 because the runtime linker delay is now a small component
31 of the application startup time.
32
33 I do not suggest using objprelink2 unless
34 your linux box lacks the improved binutils.
35 See <http://objprelink.sourceforge.net/> to check.
36 Be warned that objprelink is not a production tool.
37 This is more a research tool whose ideas, hopefully,
38 might be useful to others.
39
40 I also suggest removing the --enable-objprelink from
41 the KDE configure. Those who need objprelink will
42 use objprelink2 and will not need this option.
43
44 - - Leon Bottou
45
46 >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe