From: Thomas Flavel <thomasfl@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tom
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 05:53:31
1 On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 12:18:48PM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote:
2 > Thomas Flavel wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 07:29:01PM -0600, Bryce Porter wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Tom:
7 > > > "I'm just thinking along the lines of a minimum binary system where
8 > > > absolutley needed, and compiling specifically everywhere else? I realise this would
9 > > > be slow to install on slower systems, but, since we're all power users... ;)
10 > > >
11 > > > Seriously though, I do think this would be a nice feature, unless there's
12 > > > some practicality reason I'm missing."
13 > > > -------------------------------------------------------------
14 > > >
15 > > > I think this is a great idea. I heard of a GNU/Linux distrobution that
16 > > > when installed compiled all selected packages from source, making it the
17 > > > most optimized you could get for your specific machine. I think it was
18 > > > called Rock Linux or something.
19 > >
20 > > Not heard of it, but a quick search on google reveals the predicatable url:
21 > > http://www.rocklinux.org, #rocklinux on irc.openprojects.net.
22 > >
23 > > Looks to be faily mature (at least they're past 1.0 ;), supports ppc and alpha
24 > > as well as x86.
25 >
26 > Please send me you ppc, alpha, i64, mips, sparc machines and I will do the ports. :-)
27
28 I have access to SH3, Arm, possibly Sparc (less possibly ultrasparc :) and ppc, all of
29 which I would like to have running gentoo :)
32 > > From what I can see it has a binary cd version, with the option
33 > > to compile from source (the same thing I was talking about, if I understand them
34 > > correctly). It describes it's package management as closer to FreeBSD than debian.
35 > > It looks to be quite similar to gentoo to me, although not quite as advanced.
36 >
37 > I took a look at the site and think that we need something similar to cfengine
38 > sometimes.
39
40 That looks like a great idea; I was wondering about something similar for configuring
41 applications; i.e. some way to save a "theme" for the applications I use (e.g. colours
42 for lynx matching the colours for man pages etc if you see what I mean)
45 > I thougth about a minimum build system too, while I had to go back to i486 from i686.
46 > There is another project linux-from-scratch (www.lfs.org i think) that creates a
47 > statically linked set
48 > of packages required for build first and then builds the rest with that bin's. Such a
49 > set would require
50 > about 50MB and it is not difficult to make a few modified packages for that.
51 > This build-system could be placed on a gentoo-source cd together with a snapshot of the
52 > port-tree.
53 > Then you whould be able to boot with the source-cd and install a build.tbz2 instead of a
54 > sys.tbz2.
55 > Then you can chroot to that system and build everything from sources.
56 > Additionally this offers the possibility to build gentoo from within another
57 > linux-distro.
58 >
59 > How do you guys think about that?
60