From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Gentoo Foundation <gentoo-nfp@l.g.o>, antarus@g.o, jmbsvicetto@g.o, patrick@g.o, fox2mike@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-dev-announce] Referendum on Gentoo Foundation Inc. accepting advertising from major Gentoo Users
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 03:16:32
1 Neither the ballot nor the announcement contains the actual
2 question that is to be voted on. In the case of the announcement the
3 problem isn't as huge as with the ballot, so the latter should be fixed
4 soon, I guess.
5
6 Roy's message does mention the actual question (and I must say that
7 it's rather vague):
8
9 "Should major Gentoo users be permitted to purchase ads on the sidebar"
10
11 Notice the lack of a question mark at the end and also that voters are
12 unlikely to know what "major Gentoo users" are supposed to be without a
13 lot more background information. Why allow only major Gentoo users to
14 purchase ads on the sidebar? Why not all Gentoo users? And what kinds
15 of ads would they be? Flashing, shoot-the-monkey types of ads, or
16 should the banners only be allowed to advertise IT related products and
17 services? I'd rather restrict sponsor ads to have wording like "this
18 site is sponsored by XXXX". That's not the same as "purchasing
19 advertising but either of these would probably make my vote swing the
20 other way.
21
22 Roy's original message leaves these questions unanswered (provides no
23 background) and so does the announcement.
26 So that's two issues:
27
28 1) The ballot and announcement do not mention the question we are
29 voting on.
30 2) The question is vague.
33 Regards,
34 jer