From: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: RFC: install linux-firmware with kernel sources (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Lastrite: Firmware cleanup, part #1)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 19:12:32
1 Peter Stuge schrieb:
2 > Kernel -sources USE is a handy way to install linux-firmware
3 > wholesale, but AIUI the standalone firmware packages would
4 > be removed too, effectively making the USE flag non-optional, and
5 > removing the possibility of having managed firmware packages.
6 > (People would have to download single firmware files on their own.)
7
8 I see that there exists some preference for individual firmware packages
9 for certain users or use cases. This is why the mask message told you to
10 report a bug if a particular firmware package is important to you.
11
12 > I think the objection is against a solution that will replace what
13 > is there at the moment and cause more firmware files to always be
14 > installed, if only some specific ones are actually needed.
15
16 USE=savedconfig can prevent installation of undesired firmware files. I
17 admit that this is not very user friendly though. And some of the
18 flexibility in mixing linux-firmware[savedconfig] and individual
19 packages has been destroyed by adding blocker against linux-firmware in
20 the individual packages (bug 456746 comment 4)
21
22 > Also: Is this only for gentoo-sources? What about the other -sources?
23
24 The suggestion is to have it for virtual/linux-sources.
27 Best regards,
28 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn